[mythtv-users] Fine-tuning NFS parameters

Kevin Ross kevin at familyross.net
Fri Jul 23 23:21:03 UTC 2010

On 07/23/2010 04:13 PM, 1.41421 at gmail.com wrote:
> I have a Linux box A running both the MythTV front- and backend. This
> box has some storage, but for my own DVDs I use another Linux box B
> with several rather large hard drives. The different partitions in
> these drives are exported by B and mounted in A. Bearing in mind that
> A and B are in the same, 100 Mbs Ethernet, how should the NFS server
> in B and the NFS client in A be configured in order to optimize the
> NFS performance? Effectively, MythTV in A will be just playing videos
> held in the NFS partitions mounted from B.

I don't know if this is ideal, but personally I export with the "async"
and "rw" options, and that seems to work fine, no performance problems.
Testing raw file copying speed over NFS gives satisfactory performance
(I'm on Gb Ethernet), fast enough that the hard drives appear to be the
bottleneck, not NFS.