[mythtv-users] Slightly OT - re-building an atrpms package

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Jul 23 23:10:48 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 5:07 PM, Ken Smith <kens at kensnet.org> wrote:
> Hi, Slightly off topic, but I wonder if someone here can advise me. I need to build a ivtv rpm for
> kernel-2.6.18-194.8.1.el5.centos.plus as its not on atrpms (yet) When I run the rpm build I get
>
> error: line 3: Unknown tag: %kmdl ivtv
>
> I have brewed up a few rpm's previously but I'm by no means an expert. So I'd appreciate some advice.

ATrpms uses a few of its own helper macros, which I believe are all
available in a package called atrpms-rpm-config.

That said, knowing the el5 kernel like I do... You shouldn't actually
have to rebuild (most) kernel modules for a new kernel, especially
within a z-stream update kernel (kernel-2.6.18-194.8.1.el5 is a
z-stream kernel update from the el5.5 ga kernel, 2.6.18-194.el5), as
the kabi is strictly maintained. In other words, an existing ivtv.ko
on your box from the prior kernel should work just as well as one you
rebuild.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com