[mythtv-users] MythMusic interface

George Galt george.galt at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 21:28:10 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Gabe Rubin <gaberubin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 11:37 PM, Christopher Kerr
> <mythtv at theseekerr.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:
>>
>>> How does that fit in with a TV and a remote control? You know the MythTV
>>> thingy that this list is all about?
>>
>> a) The OP suggested a web interface themselves. Running a
>> music-playing daemon on your MythTV box makes some sort of sense,
>> since it's probably hooked up to the stereo.
>>
>> b) SqueezePlay is the sofware run on newer squeezeboxes. It has a
>> linux version which works quite well, and is keyboard-driven, so it
>> only takes about 10 LIRC bindings to get it working with a remote. And
>> can be launched from the MythTV menu's easily enough.
>>
>> Only trouble is that fullscreen functionality tends to appear and
>> disappear between versions.
>>
> Do I actually need to purchase new hardware to take advantage of this
> or can I turn my mythbox into a squeeze server?  I had looked at
> squeeze years ago and thought you could put the client anywhere but
> needed physical hardware from squeeze (now logitech) to have this
> functionality.
>
>> c) It's a client-server setup that fits nicely with the
>> Backend-frontend setup of MythTV - it makes it easy to store your
>> music on the storage-rich backend machine you already have.
>>
> I am happy to add a menu item to call up squeeze on my mythbox if I
> can basically do this all without adding hardware.
>
>> Any other questions?
>>
> Aside from those, nope.  Thanks.

No, you can install the squeezeboxserver on your mythtv box or
whatever box you have that is on all of the time.  I believe they have
repositories for both Fedora and Ubuntu (these take a little bit of
work to find, but you can just use their standard download and update
manually).

While their client hardware is very nice, you don't need it.  You can
install client software on your frontend, follow the setup to point it
at the server (even if it is the same box), and you should be good to
go.

George