[mythtv-users] Hardware setup

Matthew McClement mythtv at macker.co.uk
Fri Jul 23 16:11:21 UTC 2010

On 07/22/2010 09:07 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Thursday, July 22, 2010 01:20:35 pm Kevin Ross wrote:
>> On 07/22/2010 10:49 AM, rrdavis at gmail.com wrote:
>>> I was looking at that following setup a few months ago. The MB
>>> is no longer available from most vendors. Is there anything
>>> better for replacement? Hardware changes so fast.
>>
>> I've heard nVidia is getting out of the motherboard chipset
>> business, so there probably won't be many new motherboards with
>> onboard nVidia graphics.
>
> Since AMD bought out ATI, boards with AMD chipsets certainly aren't
> likely to have them for long, and as we all know, ATI video chips
> are not very Myth-friendly (no VDPAU).
>
> I'm not sure if this has anything to do with nVidia getting out of
> the chipset business. I know most of the gamers who are nVidia's
> main customers generally use discreet video cards and not on-board
> video.

Intel claims Nvidia doesn't have a license for making QPI capable
chipsets, and they're having a legal bun fight over the matter. Until
that's resolved, Nvidia has halted all motherboard chipset development
for x86 products with the exception of the Optimus stuff. Optimus isn't
strictly an IGP though, so it doesn't need a bus license.

This has resulted in quite a few Nvidia IGP based motherboards
disappearing from the market and it wouldn't surprise me if chipset
production has been cut down to levels to satisfy current supply
contracts and warranty replacement parts.

Matt