[mythtv-users] hd-pvr problem recording audio after firmware update

Justin Johnson justin.johnson3 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 13:19:48 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 6:22 PM, JWA <jwa at macbidouille.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
> I was having problems with my hd-pvr's recordings (it would have
> breaks in the recordings causing it to miss 30 seconds or so every so
> often).  So I decided to update the firmware to see if that would fix
> the problem.  The good news is that I no longer have that problem.
> That bad news is that now the audio will randomly not work when
> recording (it worked without a problem before).  Usually it will
> record fine for a couple shows, and then when it stops working it
> won't work for any more recordings until I restart mythbackend.  I
> tested recording on my Mac (with EyeTV) and had no problem with the
> audio, so I know it's not a hardware problem.
> The one odd thing I noticed about the recordings is that the ones that
> don't work say they are aac.  I have SPDIF chosen as the input and all
> the recording profiles say AC3 for the audio format.  I have tried all
> of the recording profiles and the problem happens with all of them.  I
> even tried creating a new recording profile, just to test, but it
> doesn't show up in the front end as an option (which I guess it
> another problem but not that important).
> I tried updating to the latest version of Ubuntu (10.04) and MythTV
> (0.23) to see if that would fix it, but I still get the same problem.
> I don't know if it's needed, but here's the dmesg output:
> [59281.690062] usb 1-5: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 7
> [59281.868016] usb 1-5: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> [59282.067504] hdpvr 1-5:1.0: untested firmware version 0x15, the
> driver might not work
> [59282.380416] hdpvr 1-5:1.0: device now attached to /dev/video0
> and here's the modinfo:
> filename:
> /lib/modules/2.6.32-24-generic/kernel/drivers/media/video/hdpvr/hdpvr.ko
> description:    Hauppauge HD PVR driver
> author:         Janne Grunau
> license:        GPL
> srcversion:     9E493050A99F9F194A6B10B
> alias:          usb:v2040p4902d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
> alias:          usb:v2040p4901d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
> alias:          usb:v2040p4900d*dc*dsc*dp*ic*isc*ip*
> depends:        videodev,v4l2-common
> vermagic:       2.6.32-24-generic SMP mod_unload modversions
> parm:           video_nr:video device number (-1=Auto) (array of int)
> parm:           hdpvr_debug:enable debugging output (int)
> parm:           default_video_input:default video input: 0=Component /
> 1=S-Video / 2=Composite (uint)
> parm:           default_audio_input:default audio input: 0=RCA back /
> 1=RCA front / 2=S/PDIF (uint)
> parm:           boost_audio:boost the audio signal (bool)
> Thanks for any help.
> -JWA

Just to add to this discussion, I've got the same issue. Firmware
version, -fixes 25368. I've just switched over to RCA for now.
I just got the HD-PVR and started with this firmware so I've never
seen it work consistently. Changing the delay in the channel change
script has no effect, simply causing other problems. I see the same
issue, where the audio is identified as AAC when it doesn't work,
though it seems to not be correlated to any specific channels as I can
make it happen in liveTV by just changing channels, then if I change
the channel and come back to the original (non-working) channel it
will work this time. I install from the repositories so I'm not really
in a position to apply any patches. Just thought I'd add another data
--Justin Johnson

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list