[mythtv-users] Virtual Machines, USB tuners and PCI passthrough

Jon Whitear jon at whitear.org
Wed Jul 21 00:40:14 UTC 2010

> Is Xen still the best solution? with RH not supporting it any longer
> and kvm seemingly taking over?
>

> Does HD Homerun come in a dvb-t and dvb-s2 varient? I am in a non
> dvb-c area of the UK.
>

> Anyone know if kvm or virtualbox (is it a rubbish solution to this
> problem?) have the same network issues?

I'm using KVM on Centos. My backend hardware is a Core i5 with 4GM RAM and mirrored 1.5TB Seagate 7200RPM drives. I have a DVB-T HD Homerun (I'm in Australia.) My backend is Mythbuntu 10.04. This box also hosts a few other VMs: mail server, web server, PBX. No performance issues (that I know of!) Most of the guests support paravirtualised network and storage device drivers, so performance should be near native.

When I set this up late last year, PCI passthrough in KVM was still rather elusive as mobos supporting VT-d were few and far between. I like the idea of my tuner being altogether separate, rather than having to rely on PCI or USB passthrough.

Cheers,

Jon