[mythtv-users] HD-PVR Channel Changing Inquiry

Larry K lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 19:25:46 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Kenneth Emerson <kenneth.emerson at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 7:50 AM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Since Comcast hosed pretty much all my unencrypted QAM (except the
>> networks, of course), I just picked up an HD-PVR, another STB, and have been
>> reading through all the materials I can find.
>>
>> On this wiki -> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD-PVR
>>

>> Larry:
>>
> A lot depends on what STB Comcast gave you.

I have the Motorola DCX3200 HD box.  It comes with an IR remote.

> People on this list seem to have had good luck using firewire to change
> channels on STB's (as do I).  If your STB has a firewire port AND it is
> enabled I'd suggest you look at 6200ch which AFAIK is included in the mythtv
> packages (
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV_External_Channel_Changer) or try
> mythchanger (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/majoridiot).  Personally I use
> mythchanger because it produced better debug for me to understand what was
> going on when I was attempting to record over the firewire. I since gave up
> that goal and purchased an HDPVR, as you did.

I guess my question is, given my STB, should I pursue channel changing with
the HD-PVR builtin IR blaster, since my STB can respond to IR commands, or
should I go with a channel changing script, which I assume requires a
firewire connection?  It's not clear to me if the myth - HD-PVR USB
connection is just to receive content, or if that is bi-directional and can
support commands to the HD-PVR as well.  For instance, the HDHR I have uses
the Ethernet connection bidirectionally, both to receive channel change
commands, and to dump content back on the wire for myth to pick up.