[mythtv-users] Can you use vlc gpu acceleration to transcode?

jansenj jansenj+myth at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 16:33:17 UTC 2010

The subject says most of my question.  I'm wondering if it is possible and
if anyone has tried using that for transcode?  Especially for transcode on
the fly for platforms that can't play HD or mpg2.  From what I read, it
looks like vlc's use of vdpau only sends the data to the GPU to be decoded.
 It then gets it back before sending it to an output device. I wonder if
that would leave more of us with enough cpu headroom to scale and encode the
video all in real-time.