[mythtv-users] Blu-ray Playback

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 16:28:54 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 9:23 AM, Scott Smith <pickle136 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> What are the system requirements for playback in myth? (i would assume vdpau
> would be neccessary)

Not really, I was playing back Blu-ray content for a year or two
before VDPAU was available.  It takes a hefty processor, or at least
it did at that time, but my Q6600 has always managed software decode.
Since the ffmpeg decoders have only improved since then, particularly
the H.264 decoder, I would say it's more possible in software than
ever.  Was playing all my disKs without issue yesterday with ffmpeg
decode on that same system.  All that said, it's still nice to be able
to do other things at the same time so VDPAU doesn't hurt.

Robert