[mythtv-users] Which blaster should I use?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri Jul 16 16:03:50 UTC 2010

On Friday, July 16, 2010 09:40:25 am Tyler T wrote:
> > I thought that when you changed the channel the blaster
> > end (looks like a red LED) would  flicker.
> >  Nothing flickered on any of
> > the three...is it normally visible?
>
> Not necessarily -- some do, some don't. And most (but not all) digital
> cameras pick up IR, so even that's not a 100%-sure test. Test your
> camera by using it to look at the end of your remote while pressing
> buttons.
>
> > All three blasters are connected and easily in sight, but none are
> > actually attached to the STB receiver.  Where did I go wrong?
>
> Again, depends on the blaster. Some are powerful enough their light
> bounces around nearby objects to reach the receiver. Others need to be
> attached to the IR window of the device being controlled.

Generally the blasters that are powered by the handshaking lines of a serial port have very limited IR output, and need to
be attached very close to the receiver.

Blasters that have their own power supply (usually a wall wart) can output a lot more IR energy, my MyBlaster can be in
the next room and not LOS and still work well.