[mythtv-users] Which blaster should I use?

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Fri Jul 16 01:52:24 UTC 2010

Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 10:32 PM, Don Brett <dlbrett at zoominternet.net> wrote:
>
>> I have a new installation of Mythdora-12, which is working fairly well, but
>> it has three blasters; pvr-150, mce remote receiver-blaster combo, and
>> hd-pvr w/blaster.  Actually, none of them do anything.  I set it up in the
>> Mythdora ir devices section, but I'm not sure I have it right.
>> Remote control - Media center remote 2
>> Override IR - lirc_mceusb2 (MCE-USB Receiver/Blaster)
>> IR blaster - No IR Blaster
>> STB - Pace PSR9000 (the box is actually a DC700X HD, but there's no
>> selection for it)
>>
>> Did I pick these correctly?
>>

> Depends. Did you actually want all three enabled, or just the mceusb
> one? I'd set up just that one if you only need one receiver and one
> transmitter, since it can do everything in a single device for you and
> the driver has no known deficiencies, etc. That what it sounds like
> you've set up, anyway. When you say "none of them do anything", what
> exactly do you mean? And what exactly are you expecting them to do? :)

No, just one blaster, and I agree, the mceusb would be preferred.  I'm a
blaster novice, but I thought that when you changed the channel the
blaster end (looks like a red LED) would  flicker.  The procedure was:

Select "Watch TV" > let it go to Live and tune a channel > aim the
remote at the receiver and press a number (I used #2) > press OK > watch
for led flicker > then repeat using a digital camera.  Nothing flickered
on any of the three...is it normally visible?

All three blasters are connected and easily in sight, but none are
actually attached to the STB receiver.  Where did I go wrong?

PS - I'm trying to make this work with the HdPvr, can I still use the
pvr-150 as a second tuner?  When I change channels on one, will it
switch the other?