[mythtv-users] Backend consolidation, continued...

Ozzy Lash ozzy.lash at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 19:34:31 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Clay <ctmythtv at pacbell.net> wrote:
> f-myth-users at media.mit.edu wrote:
>>
>>    > Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 21:49:57 -0700
>>    > From: Clay <ctmythtv at pacbell.net>
>>
>>    > Fscking ubuntu doesn't lshw anymore so from memory, the hardware is:
>>
>> Can you explain this comment?
>>
>> I've never seen one for which lshw didn't work, including 10.04, which
>> is the latest release.  What exactly did you try, and what exactly did
>> you see when you did?
>
> $ lshw
> $ sudo lshw
> $ apropos lshw
> $ apropos ls
>
> command not found, or some such.
>
> I'm sure it's just another byproduct of doing a net install after the CD
> install failed.
>
> Time to throw in the towel, flatline it, and install again... Much as I hate
> to fix it the 'Windows way', chasing the little niggles and who knows what
> else, makes it tough to debug a flaky backend.
> Maybe it will fix the DMA issue with the pvr-150's too, but I doubt it.

Most of my systems are debian, and I hadn't heard of lshw until I saw
it mentioned here.  I had used lsusb, lspci, ... to get similar
information.  I logged into one of my systems, and tried lshw, and it
wasn't found, but just did a "sudo apt-get install lshw" installed it,
and I must say, it looks like a handy tool!  You might try something
similar.