[mythtv-users] recommended video card for h.264 playback

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 15:42:39 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 22:49, Bill Williamson <bill at bbqninja.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Joe Harvell
> <jharvell+lists.mythtv-users at dogpad.net> wrote:
>> I just started recording with the HD-PVR.  My video card is a GeForce
>> 7600 GT and the processor is a 2.4 GHz Dual Core (E6600).
>>
>> So far I've captured at 1080i @13.5 Mbits/sec.  The content is actually
>> SD content over 1080i (black bars on the side).  The playback profile is
>> set to use Xvmc, which I'm assuming falls back to some sort of default
>> software decoder.  The playback is fine, but the CPU temp is making my
>> fans generate unacceptable noise.
>>
>> I haven't looked at this in a while, but apparently nVidia supports
>> h.264 hardware decoding on their newer cards for Linux with VDPAU.  I
>> want to be able to decode H.264 and MPEG-2 with very little host CPU
>> required as long as the video card doesn't heat up the system.  I'm
>> trying to reduce noise and heat.  I do want high quality decoding, but
>> cost is a slight concern.
>>
>> Any recommendations would be appreciated.
>

> I believe the current golden child is the nvidia GT220 with 1gb of
> ram.  You can find it in both fanned and fanless.

FYI: I purchased the Zotac fanless GT220 and I'm sending it back. As
soon as I put it in it had problems refreshing video objects (when I
moved the mouse over objects, they would not refresh - they became
blank). After a while the objects looked ok, then they went blank
again.

I purchased it because it was fanless. I do have an Asus GT220 in my
PC right now, but it has a fan. People have reported it to be quiet,
but to me it's too loud. I have this PC in my audio studio and I paid
special attention to my computers to make them as quiet as possible.
This GT220 is about 3 times as loud as the whole computer (which is
pretty quiet.) So, I'm still looking for a good GT220 fanless, if
anyone has a recommendation.