[mythtv-users] How to best deal with Comcast's "Improved" Lineup?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Jul 12 21:40:39 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> The extra $$$ is to upgrade my subscription from "basic basic analog"
> to the lowest tier digital service that has the channels I want back.

Are you saying you were previously getting channels like FOOD on a
"basic basic analog" package?

> --  about $40/month extra,

In my area, upgrading from Comcast analog to Comcast digital hasn't
cost anything (at least for a few years) if you want to keep the same
channel selection and don't need more than the minimum number of
tuners they'll give you for free.

It sounds to me like you've been getting more channels than you were
supposed to and that isn't happening anymore.

> if
> I can't train the family to use MythTV exclusively, I'll need even
> more DTAs

A DTA doesn't really need to be exclusive used by myth if you want to
live a little dangerously.  The worst case outcomes are that myth with
change the channel when someone is trying to watch something or that
someone will mess up a recording when changing the channel on a tuner
myth is using.  Nobody dies.  If you can live with that, it's not so
bad.  I get far more failed recordings from general firewire flakiness
than conflicts with people screwing with the STB to get to on-demand
or other such.

Eric