[mythtv-users] storage directories

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Jul 12 17:20:23 UTC 2010

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> Deleting a Storage Group from the master backend deletes the group *and* all
> directory list overrides on other hosts (i.e. you can't have a directory list
> override if the group doesn't exist).
> Therefore, you can go through each existing SG that you want to keep and
> write down the directory list for each SG.  Then, delete all the SGs from the
> master.  Then, you can simply define the SG's on the master and add all the
> directories to them, as appropriate.  With this approach, you'll know for
> sure that you have things defined in the most-maintainable way--once on the
> master backend, meaning there's only one place to update the directory lists
> (that being on the master backend). Since you won't have any overrides adding
> confusion, it will be easy to see where the information is coming from.
Information, please. I'm slightly puzzled by how the above information is used.
If you're saying that you now only define SGs on the master back end - and in my
view that's the right place to do things like that - then how does a slave
backend find it's storage?

Two situations I can think of as examples, there may be other permutations.
Firstly, a slave with it's own storage. Does the MBE have to be able to access
the SBE storage location using samba/NFS/whatever in order to register the SG

Secondly, the reverse, a slave with no storage. Does it have to access storage
on the MBE (or somewhere else?) using samba/NFS/whatever or is all the
communication done using Myth's streaming protocol?

Mike Perkins