[mythtv-users] Design a low cost, dual tuner, one box solution.

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 11 15:56:08 UTC 2010

Hi All

I've been asked by a friend to help him design a PVR system based on
Myth that could be used by partially sighted/blind people.  I
understand that the request may have originated from the UK's biggest
charity for sight impaired people.  There are about 2m sight impaired
people in the UK.

The criteria for the system is:-

As low cost as possible that will drive a dual tuner, the obvious
option here is based upon an Atom 330 Ion platform as far as I can
see.

Minimum of dual tuner (either DVB-S or DVB-t) with option for up to 4
tuners in a mix.

Consumer type 'one box' product, can't have lots of bits and
extraneous wires hanging off it.

Large Button Remote Control.

Customisable menu system that can have large text fonts and different
colour options for colour blind people.

Simple as possible to use, minimal support required, no need to have
internet access, large buttons on case (custom designed case).

My initial though was a Atom 330 with a Mini PCI dual tuner card, but
I don't think there's an Atom 330 with a Mini PCI slot and even if
there is is there a Dual Tuner Mini PCI card?

Spec would be Atom 330, 1gb HD, 500gb 2.5" HD, Dual tuners, HDMI output.

Thoughts suggestions?