[mythtv-users] Many new dvd's not working

Alan Murrell lists at murrell.ca
Sun Jul 11 14:42:33 UTC 2010

On 07/10/2010 10:52 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
> I've often wondered if the rental disks are different somehow from
> the ones sold at retail.

I don't think so, or at least not in this case.  I have the retail
version of Sherlock Holmes and can confirm that it just dumps me
straight back to the MythTV menu.

It doesn't bother me as much, as I don't watch DVDs on my Myth Frontend
very often, since I still have a very capable DVD player that is hooked
into my surround system, but I had always figured that if/when my DVD
player goes that I would still be able to play DVDs on my Myth Frontend;
guess that may not be the case.

On the other hand, a colleague of mine who is much more knowledgeable
about multimedia, etc. has always recommended just doing a full disc rip
to the PVR backend (whether MythTV or something else), as disk space is
so cheap these days and the movie (complete with menus, feature, etc.)
would be available from any frontend you have.  Personally, I am not
sure it is necessary to do *full* disc rips; I am usually just happy
with the movie itself.

The rips could be done with existing Linux tools or, if necessary, tools
that run on Microsoft Windows (possibly through WINE)

-Alan