[mythtv-users] Zotac Zbox vs. MAG for Frontend

Nicolas Riendeau knight at teksavvy.com
Sat Jul 10 21:07:40 UTC 2010

  Hi Robert!

On 7/9/2010 12:03 PM, Robert Shields wrote:
> Thanks for the great overview of the MAG.  It is extremely helpful to
> get a relevant (to MythTV) review of the device before I buy it.  The
> heat issue is slightly concerning, but I guess as long as it works it
> shouldn't be a big issue.
No problem...

I was somewhat concerned with it but I guess if it's withing tolerances,
it's not that bad...

I am considering adding an external low noise fan externally to try to
lower the temperatures... I have seen other people (on Zotac's forum)
complain about the temperatures but in my case it looks like they might
not be entirely the MAG's fault, my monitor seems to produce a non
negligible amount of heat (more than my other LCD monitors it seems...).

(BTW, I have attached my MAG to the VESA mount.)

BTW, some people have suggested adjusting the fan settings (in BIOS)
differently in order to lower the temperatures...

I haven't yet tried playing back HD stuff though (my current antenna is
way too much damaged to get digital stations) but it's supposed to be
able to deal with them A-OK (thanks to the ION chipset).

> I will give it a shot as well and see how things go for me.

Keep us posted!

Have a nice day!

Nick