[mythtv-users] mythtranscode cutlist argument?

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sat Jul 10 07:37:32 UTC 2010

On 09/07/10 23:43, Christopher Meredith wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 4:36 PM, John Pilkington<J.Pilk at tesco.net>  wrote:
>> On 09/07/10 22:00, Christopher Meredith wrote:
>>>
>>> According to the help output, mythtranscode can be used with the
>>> --infile and --honorcutlist flags and the latter "Optionally takes a
>>> cutlist as an argument when used with --infile." Can anyone tell me
>>> what format this argument should be? I've tried creating a plaintext
>>> file with this:
>>>
>>> 1836,13700-18207,29554-36778,50077-54307,55801-
>>>
>>> and passing the text file as an argument, and I've tried passing that
>>> whole string as an argument. In both cases, the file is transcoded but
>>> no cuts are honored. How should this argument be formatted?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>
>> I've no hard evidence on this, but I suspect you need a
>> one-value-to-the-line text file, possibly starting with a zero to define the
>> polarity.  But why not use the default as created by the MythTV editor?
>>
>> And the usual advice for people having problems with lossless transcoding of
>> a perhaps imperfect mpeg2 recording is to use Project-X.
>> You might like to look at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythcutprojectx.
>> I have a report that the effect of this (and mythtranscode) is at present
>> inverted in trunk; it works in 0.23-fixes for me.
>>
>> Don't overlook the searchable archive at
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/
>
> I tried modifying the file thus:
> 0-1836
> 13700-18207
> 29554-36778
> 50077-54307
> 55801-

Again, no guarantees, but this looks like two values to the line to me

0
1836
13700
18207
...etc

> to no avail. I am trying to compensate for a busted mpeg2 lossless
> transcode as you suspect. I checked out mythcutprojectx and am having
> some issues getting it to work (ionice: execvp failed: No such file or
> directory) and am hesitant to spend too much time with it because as I
> understand, it requires user intervention which means I can't make it
> part of a userjob.

True: but I get my cutlist interactively too.  The ionice -c3 stuff
isn't essential to the operation but it stops resource hogging.  Maybe
someone could build the core algorithms, perhaps without PID selection,
into the transcode wrapper stub.