[mythtv-users] World of pain migrating to "Storage Groups"

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Jul 9 23:42:18 UTC 2010

On 7/9/2010 19:29, Kingsley Turner wrote:
> As far as I can understand, Storage Groups is to allow *Recordings* to
> get placed on different drives.  Any suggestions as to why all this
> static-file stuff is now in a world of pain ?

Storage Groups are a way to provide distributed file access to all
things MythTV.  You define the storage group on the backend, and restart
that backend.  Now, anything that speaks myth protocol can access that
file anywhere on the network, without having to set up NFS or any other
network file share.

In 0.23, MythVideo now supports hashing of videos, meaning if you move
them around, MythVideo will find them and update their location in the
database, rather than create a new entry for which you need to download
metadata.  If you are switching to storage groups, you must stop using
local file access in the frontend.  Also, the file scanner in MythWeb is
broken, and should not be used.