[mythtv-users] help needed speccing out small silent frontend.

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 20:04:32 UTC 2010

On 7 July 2010 20:46, Ryan Duffy <dusteur at excite.com> wrote:

> Wow! okay, so the Revo 3610 looks like it might be a winner after all, especially for £190. The verdict seems to be that it isn't all that noisy. I might have been getting confused with the other ION PC thing which is apparently very loud.
>
> A few questions:
>
> Does it run Ubuntu (particularly 10.04) with all the hardware working?
>
> Can anyone recommend a remote to go with it (unless I can use my existing Hauppauge Nova TD500 remote?)
>
> It looks like it only has wireless-G, is that correct?  I've got a wireless-N USB dongle, but it seems a shame to waste built-in wireless. For the record, I've experimented with my laptop and have no trouble watching TV over wireless-N. I'm using standard UK freeview SD though, no HD.

seriously unless you're away from a microwave; other electrical
signals and anyone else using wifi stay away from wifi; it'll glitch
and you'll end up running a cable anyway. I cat6d a house in a day and
that was a 80's built house.

> Other video formats: I have quite a large library of videos encoded in all sorts of formats including DivX, Xvid, MPEG2, MPEG4, H.264 and probably others. Will it work with all these, and also with BBC iPlayer?

yes, it is all offloaded to the graphics chipset when vdpau is
enabled; except for divx which loads the cpu; my dual core is fine for
sd divx and I have loads of dvds encoded at high quality h264/m4a in a
mkv container.

flash should be fine in the main; it is also only software decoded
currently; hardware acceleration is on the official adobe roadmap, but
who knows...

> What does fast enough mean? For me, if i can webbrowse, view photos (including rotating) and maybe edit the occasional document without it being obviously slow, that is fast enough. I'm used to using high-end quad cores though so I have very little patience for lag.

well; a dual core atom isnt as fast as a high end late singlecore
intel chip (pre-multicore)... you are going to notice the speed
difference especially when rendering large pdf's and other documents.
apps take longer to load as well and there is certainly a slight (and
I mean less than half-second) delay on initial presses of my remote
compared to my quadcore be/fe after a prolonged idle.