[mythtv-users] Schedules Direct - how to create 2 lineups from same source

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 04:55:18 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 21:35, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 19:23, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 19:16, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 19:10, Larry K <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 10:09 PM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>> On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
>>>>> wrote:
>>>>>>  On 07/03/2010 10:29 AM, derdev wrote:
>>>>>>> On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 23:29:05 -0400, "Michael T. Dean" wrote:
>>>>>>>> On 07/02/2010 09:51 PM, Brad Fuller wrote:
>>>>>>>>> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 18:44, Cecil Watson wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>> Thanks Cecil. Let me ask a few questions, if you don't mind:
>>>>>>>>>> You're welcome.
>>>>>>>>>>> If I delete the channels in the Channel Editor by source, wouldn't
>>>>>>>>>>> it
>>>>>>>>>>> also delete the channels to the other card that's using that
>>>>>>>>>>> download?
>>>>>>>>>> No, it won't. If card one if bound to my_provider and card two to
>>>>>>>>>> my_provider_all, deleting a channel for source my_provider won't have an
>>>>>>>>>> affect on my_provider_all.
>>>>>>>>> cool. I'll try it!
>>>>>>>> The critical distinction being that:
>>>>>>>> A MythTV Video Source is /not/ a Schedules Direct Lineup.
>>>>>>>> Multiple MythTV video sources may share a single Schedules Direct
>>>>>>>> lineup.  Therefore, set up one lineup with all the channels and 2 video
>>>>>>>> sources--each with only the channels available on the input to which
>>>>>>>> that source is connected.
>>>>>>>> (So, yes, Cecil's approach is perfect, and it will work! :)
>>>>>>> Be sure to make the channels you don't want "not visible" instead of
>>>>>>> deleting them.  Otherwise they'll just pop in again when the lineup is
>>>>>>> refreshed.
>>>>>> Not if you follow Cecil's instructions:  "Go back to General and add
>>>>>> '--remove-new-channels' to the 'mythfilldatabase Arguments'.  Manually run
>>>>>> mythfilldatabase with --remove-new-channels to update your guide data."  :)
>>>>>> Mike
>>>> Actually, http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-24.html#ss24.2
>>> this looks interesting, but I can never retrieve the channels.
>>> Mythsetup actually does go to SD to fetch, but it never retrieves
>>> anything (according to the terminal output)
>>> I can't seem to copy the text output (is that an xterm?) and I don't
>>> see this same output in the mythbackend.log,  but I see:
>>> .. Updating source #7 (Comcast Digital All) with grabber schedulesdirect1
>>> ... No channels are configures to use grabber.
>>> ... Grabbing channel data.
>>> ... http://webservices.....
>>> .
>>> .
>>> ...connected
>>> Then it goes thru the typical rolling <=> of mythfilldatabase and then quits.
>>> But, no data is downloaded.
>>> I have no problem with SD or mythfilldatabase as I just ran it and it
>>> downloaded fine.
>>> Any ideas?
>> Welll.. I tried it a couple more times. Then, myth setup hung. I
>> killed it. Started it again. tried it again and it downloaded the
>> channels.
>> Go figur.
>> Now I'm on to the next step
> The next step was to change the channel numbers to be the channels
> according to the wiki (though, I can't find the link right off). But,
> it doesn't seem to matter. I set the channel to start on channel 2 in
> mythtv-setup. I have the DTA split to the TV and to the PVR250. When I
> restarted mythtv-backend, the channel switched to channel 2. I didn't
> do ANYTHING with the channels.
> Ok, so that might be working. However, I haven't been able to see
> anything form the PVR250. I still get a black screen in LiveTV.
> However, I can tell that the PVR-250 is working because I see video
> when I:
> mplayer /dev/video0
> So, there is output at /dev/video0 and my setup for this device is set
> to /dev/video0
> Any ideas?  I'll keep looking...
> Thanks for all your help so far. .... I'm almost there!

I got it to work.

Totally unrelated problem:
I had the PVR250 set on
Analog V4l Capture Card

instead of

ivtv MPEG-2 encoder card.

I switched it and it worked!  Cool.

Now I can get my Comcast channels above 33! Course, they are in analog
and not digital. Those are details at this point -;)

This was quite an ordeal.
1. Getting IguanaIR to work. I think some (most) of the problem was me
not knowing what I was doing and with a device I'm not familar with.
2. LIRC is a pain to get to work/ especially on Ubuntu.
3. Getting the card/source to obtain the channels for the channel listing.

In the end I have to thank all of you for all your help and the people
at Iguana that helped me privately and on this list.


(oh, btw, what's the best way to "hold back" package updates in
Ubuntu. I found 3 ways to do it on the ubuntu forums. What do y'all


More information about the mythtv-users mailing list