[mythtv-users] Hmmmm

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 15:10:48 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 1:59 AM, Jason Ward <jasonfward at gmail.com> wrote:

> Despite what I've read here would I be better of just leaving the
> installation alone and only updating say once a year?

I don't know what you've read here, but my advice is that if you want the
system to act like an appliance or a production environment then don't
update unless you're sure you want to. Usually that would mean that either
you know the update fixes a bug that's a problem for you (this would include
security updates if the machine is exposed to the net) or the update
introduces a feature you want. Otherwise forget it. If you're updating all
the time then you won't have a truly stable system - even stuff like
Mythbuntu doesn't get enough testing to cover every hardware, software, and
configuration permutation.

Personally I update rarely, usually only when Myth releases occur and then I
update everything. That can make the updates pretty traumatic but for me
it's better than possibility of an update causing problem at any random
time. Occasionally I'll do updates of just Myth between times. But generally
if the system is stable I don't mess with it.

Cheers,
Steve