[mythtv-users] Distributed Parallel Encoding, was Little OT: RealTime Parallel Multi-PC Transcoding

belcampo belcampo at zonnet.nl
Thu Jul 1 16:31:35 UTC 2010

Hi,

At http://code.google.com/p/ppss/ I found Distributed Parallel
Processing Shell Script which is, at least to me, THE WAY to efficiently
use your Cores, if you have multiple, for encoding.
As some of you may have noticed the -threads 0 option of ffmpeg/x264
doesn't scale well, if at all, after 2Cores.
With ppss I'am able to get 86% of max achievable, out of 10 Cores
distributed in 4-different PC's.

Henk Schoneveld

PS. 1 Core AMD Phenom 9600 Quadcore does 9.8fps
     1 Core AMD X2 Athlon Dualcore 4000+ does 7.8fps