[mythtv-users] Firewire no longer required on HD STBs

Deyan mythtv at bektchiev.net
Thu Jul 1 05:38:13 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 5:50 PM, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:

> Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> says:
> > was it actually usable for anything useful ? I mean looking at it
> > from the TV manufacturers point of view - was it worth the effort of
> > implementing it if they still had to connect the box via
> > HDMI/Component/Something to show channels not available via FireWire
> > ?
>
> Cable boxes with FireWire make all subscribed channels available. What
> we call "encrypted" in this context is actually 5C, a form of DRM that
> only 5C-enabled devices can view. All TVs and other media devices with
> FireWire, such as digital VCRs, are 5C-compliant so can view 5C-marked
> channels automatically; only hobbyists like us, who can't get the 5C
> DRM keys, are blocked by it.

I have a TV that has all three - FireWire, HDMI and CableCARD. With FireWire
the convenience is that the TV controls the cable box however you don't have
any of the on-screen displays, including the guide. The CableCARD gets the
guide as well but the most useful by far is the HDMI input from the cable
box. And since Comcast makes you pay the same price for either a CableCARD
or cable box having a cable box makes much more sense as you get the
on-demand, guide, etc.