[mythtv-users] .24 Audio results: mixed

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 01:54:40 UTC 2010

Hi

On 1 July 2010 03:52, Douglas Peale <Douglas_Peale at comcast.net> wrote:
> trunk25217 just showed up in the repository this morning.
>
> 1st bit of odd behavior: When I initially brought up the audio setup page, "No digital passthrough" was unchecked, and ungreyed.
> I did not think this was correct for my setup, so I clicked on the checkbox. It then became checked and greyed.

Looks like I need to force the update of the display here...
The was happening automatically before..

Those Qt Settings is a real pain in the backside really, can't wait
until those are completely gone and moved to MythUI

> Checkbox alignment is still off under "Advanced audio configuration"
>
> If I select ALSA:iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0, I get all three checkboxes under "Audio Processing Capabilities", LPCM is greyed and
> checked. This does not change when changing Speaker Configuration between stereo and 5.1. This may be what you intended. I would
> have expected LPCM to be greyed and unchecked though.

You have to ignore the status of a greyed checkbox. It's not something
I can easily control, and I don't see much the point when a checkbox
is disabled to also uncheck it.

The advantage of leaving it as-is, is that if you happen to select a
device that will make the checkbox appear, the previous setting will
be restored.
If I was to uncheck *and* grey-out, you would have to re-check AC3 and
DTS all the time, each time you scroll through the list of device...
That way the previous setting is remembered

Plus personally, I find that unless I sit 30cm from my screen, I have
no way to tell a greyed checkbox is checked or not :)

> If I select ALSA:default (and scan for audio devices) all three items in "Audio Processing Capabilities" are ungreyed and checked.

I can not tell if ALSA:default is an analog device or a digital one if
the name or the description doesn't contain anything leading myth to
think so.
So if you select ALSA:default, you will have to tell myth if it's a
digital or an analog device

> This one I don't think is correct:
> If I select ALSA:hdmi:CARD=HDMI, LPCM is greyed and checked. If Dolby digital and DTS are unchecked, Speaker configuration is
> limited to stereo. I was under the impression that HDMI could handle 7.1 through LPCM. When DTS or Dolby digital are selected,
> 5.1 shows up in the speaker configuration list. Comment for this claims it supports up to 5.1.

It all depends of the hdmi device. It could be your hdmi device only
reports stereo out (like if it's a spdif passthrough only).
The LPCM check box will be available only if the number of speakers
reported as available is > 2 (so either 6 or 8)

If your hdmi device reports that only 2 channels are available, then
it will show LPCM (but greyed) and AC3 and DTS.
5.1 will be available in the selection only if AC3 or DTS (or both) are checked

You can tell what a device can do by looking at the description at the bottom.
If you see any discrepancies between the description showed at the
bottom and what the choices are in the settings, then I'm interested
in knowing the details.

Otherwise, it's just based on your particular hardware and is working
as intended

> At least the DTS and Dolby Digital check boxes are appearing when they should now.
>
> This is completely irrelevant, but I just discovered that the volume control on my receiver does not work for the analog inputs.
> By switching to analog inputs, my receiver is reduced to being a fixed gain amplifier.

That's weird....

Can always use the ALSA mixer, using the "master" control...
Jean-Yves