[mythtv-users] Playback freeze/lockup + kernel panic

steve networks1 at cox.net
Sun Jan 31 16:12:55 UTC 2010

>Can you ssh in? I've seen a system hard-lock during vdpau playback,
>and not respond to keystrokes or mouse, but have still been able to
>ssh in.

No.

>> The interval before the lockup is not consistent, even when playing the
same
>> recording.
>
>Likely random memory corruption or some sort of race condition
>somewhere in kernel-space.

Lucky me!

>Get a stack trace. Hook up serial console or set up kdump if you have
>to. Should get a good idea of where to look simply from the traceback.
>Not really a whole lot else you can do without it. You could also try
>an older or newer kernel, to see if its a regression or something
>already fixed.

OK I set up kdump and got a vmcore file.  When I run gdb on it, I get some
warning messages indicating that the mythfronend debug files are missing
some stuff:

Reading symbols from /usr/bin/mythfrontend...Reading symbols from
/usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/mythfrontend.debug...
warning: section .gnu.liblist not found in
/usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/mythfrontend.debug
warning: section .dynbss not found in
/usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/mythfrontend.debug
warning: section .gnu.conflict not found in
/usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/mythfrontend.debug
done.
done.
warning: section .gnu.liblist not found in
/usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/mythfrontend.debug
warning: section .dynbss not found in
/usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/mythfrontend.debug
warning: section .gnu.conflict not found in
/usr/lib/debug/usr/bin/mythfrontend.debug
Reading symbols from /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2...Reading symbols from
/usr/lib/debug/lib64/ld-2.11.1.so.debug...done.
done.
Loaded symbols for /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
#0  0xffffffffa054e643 in _start () from /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2

But then when I issue thread apply all bt full I get

Thread 1 (<main task>):
Cannot access memory at address 0xffff880028025b70

So I guess it is a memory problem.  The thing is the memtest86 didn't turn
up anything.  I'm wondering if it could be bad memory on the video card, but
I can't find any apps for testing that.