[mythtv-users] Basic questions of newb. ( Cablevision)

Misc Things formisc at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 04:36:58 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Christopher Meredith
<chmeredith at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 10:14 AM, Misc Things <formisc at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Christopher Meredith <
>> chmeredith at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> You can find out exactly what channels are available to you via ATSC by
>>> using this tool: http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx
>>>
>>> Apart from that, you can plug a TV cable directly from the wall into a
>>> QAM tuner and receive any channels that are "clear QAM," which means
>>> unencrypted. Usually, this is only the channels you can already receive OTA,
>>> usually less (unless you're very lucky). The next level is using your cable
>>> box with firewire, assuming your cable company isn't using a different type
>>> of encryption on those channels (most are). After that, there's nothing you
>>> can do, except use an HD-PVR which captures the component HD signal from
>>> your cable box.

>> > The next level is using your cable box with firewire, assuming your
>> cable company isn't using a different type of encryption on those channels
>> (most are).
>>
>> Wait. Are you saying that they encrypt basic differently from "premium"
>> channels?
>

> Yes. The signal that comes into the house via cable can have QAM encryption
> requiring the use of a cable box to decrypt. Then the cable box itself can
> encrypt that signal over firewire using 5c encryption. There is no
> Myth-compatible device capable of breaking 5c encryption. Unless you
> are extremely lucky, all premium channels will be 5c encrypted.
>

>> >.. After that, there's nothing you can do, except use an HD-PVR which
>> captures the component HD signal from your cable box.
>> mmm. So this unit is a replacement for the box in terms of the decryption?
>> not sure i follow.
>>

> Rather than connecting the component cables to your  TV from the cable box,
> you would connect them to the HD-PVR from the cable box. This is an analog
> HD signal, so it can't be encrypted. The HD-PVR can record anything your
> cable box can play over component (so pretty much everything). After my
> cable company turned on 5c, I got an HD-PVR and have been happy ever since.

> Yeah, i doubt that i'll be lucky ( with absence of 5c ).
Based on your explanations i see 2 roads :
1. take an antenna and record OTA free channels (around 12 of them) - pay $0
to cable company
2. take a box -> connect HD-PVR to either firewire or component or ( i think
i have ) SPIF(?) output(s) and enjoy all channels i subscribe to.

With this seemed to be clear in my head. Lets go one step deeper:
1. What video capturing card(s) would you recommend?
 Again i would like to be able to record as many channels in parallel as
possible and view one :).
I think, though, that if the source of the recording signal is the boxm then
the amount of channels i can record simultaneously is limited to those of
the box. in my case i can record 2 and watch one . Is this assumption
correct?

Thank you
Andrew