[mythtv-users] Multiseat/Multiple mythfrontend oddness and questions

Mark D. Montgomery II techiem2 at techiem2.net
Fri Jan 29 02:07:46 UTC 2010

I recently got a fairly decent box setup and configured as a mythtv
backend/frontend box.
Everything seems to be working fine at this point, so I am trying the
strange stuff now.
:)
As I can't currently afford to build a dedicated frontend box for the
family TV, I am trying to see if a multiseat X configuration is
feasible.
This would allow me to have my local frontend on the monitor connected
to the box near me, and allow me to run audio/video cable out to the
TV for the second session.

My box has 2 video cards and 2 audio cards in it now.

I got multiseat X working and have run into my first glitch.
This doesn't appear to be mythtv related though, but maybe someone
will have an idea.

X seat 1 is on my primary video card (GeForce 7600GT) connected to a 19" LCD.
X seat 2 is on my newer video card (GeForce 210) currently connected
to a 17" CRT (this card will ideally be connected via hdmi to the TV
at some point).

When seat 1 starts up, it is fine.
When seat 2 starts up, it is fine, but seat 1's monitor does the
wrap-picture-around-monitor annoyance.

One some actions seat 1 will return to normal, but it seems any action
on seat 2 causes it to flake again (or so it seems from my quick
testing).

So that's the first glitch.  I'm not really sure what to try to fix it.
I've considered swapping the video card locations (but keep them
connected to the same screens) to see what happens, but haven't tried
yet.

My second issue is that of running 2 instances of mythfrontend on the
same machine.
The major issue here of course is audio routing.
Video is not an issue since each session is using a dedicated video card.
(I didn't try bringing up live tv on both sessions, but I'm assuming
that would be fine as long as each grabs a different tuner - and live
TV isn't really an issue for our TV since it is connected directly to
our digital cable box and my myth box can only get unencrypted digital
and analog stations - so the fam wouldn't be watching tv through it
anyway)
The problem being that the frontend configuration is stored in the database.
This means that whichever audio device was set to be used last will be
used on all instances of the frontend that start, which means that
frontends will have to be reconfigured to use the proper primary or
secondary audio device for that frontend session.
This is more of an annoyance than a problem, but one I'm wondering if
there's an easy way around.

Any input/suggestions would be appreciated.
If this works right, it could be quite nice and save me (and maybe
others) a chunk of change from having to build a dedicated frontend
box if their TV is in cable-running distance.  :)

Mark II

--
Mark D. Montgomery II
http://www.techiem2.net