[mythtv-users] Remote LCD/VFD display that works with MythTV?

Nicolas Riendeau knight at teksavvy.com
Fri Jan 29 01:44:00 UTC 2010

Hi!

Geoff Newbury wrote:
>> Essentially an external display that would be connected to a PC
>> that's at least 10 feet from the display (Yep, I do have the special
>> cables for that...).
>>
>>> but both of these connect by USB, so you could use an external case
>>> (and power wart) with a long USB cable.
>>
>> The power, that's what I'm not sure about... Do I actually need to
>> provide power to them or do they get it off the USB connector?

OK, I've checked the manual and it looks like power MUST be provided to the display...

Thing is, I don't know if it is safe to use two different power supplies to supply
the voltages used by the display (the one it gets separately and from the USB
port)... Could something in the display assume the power is supplied by only one
power supply?

>> OK, now how did you know I would be interested in knowing their
>> *Canadian* prices? (-;
>>
> I have T1 pipe hacked into the Echelon server Jim Flaherty has in his
> basement in Oshawa. And now that I've told you that' I'll have to tell

ROTFL...

> you the truth.
> Your teksavvy email address was a gimme!

I figured it had to be something like that... I have more than one email address and
I'm so used to using the one of my ISP for MythTV that I no longer think about it and
the fact that it does give an idea of where I am from...

> It was at Canada Computers although TigerDirect may carry them too.

NCIX appears to have them too but the product description comes directly from a
supplier database and is actually quite incomplete... I did look up the part number
though and it does look like it's the right part (at around $70 and it even has a PP
price...).

Thank you very much and have a nice day!

Nick