[mythtv-users] Does anyone have MythTv running on the iPad yet?

Chase Douglas chasedouglas.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 22:06:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 4:59 PM, jansenj <jansenj+myth at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just as I feared. According to a cryptic reply on the developer
>> forums, it seems there's still no new seeking support for live
>> streamed content in iPhone OS 3.2. Without it, MythTV on iPhone in any
>> form is severely hampered.
>>

> Thats true for live TV, but would that be true for DVR playback?  Or are you
> assuming you would be transcoding on the fly and therefore appear as a
> stream without an end as far as the iphone is concerned?

You are correct. However, playback of fully transcoded material
through HTTP live streaming is crippled too. I don't remember the
specifics, but its UI was like: rewind (it wasn't obvious how much
this was, but it was more than 30 s), play/pause, and fast forward
(again an indeterminate amount of time). There was still no seek bar
support. And really, if you're always going to wait until it's
completely finished, you might as well just transcode it to a .mp4
instead of using live streaming. At that point we're not really
talking much of a MythTV interface on the iPhone. We're really just
talking about playing back previously transcoded content. That's been
done before, but I really want to be able to pull up mythweb or a
native app and just start watching stuff, even as it's still
recording.

Thanks,
Chase