[mythtv-users] MythVideo 'playcommand' to turn subtitles on?

Nicholas Fasano nfasano at mac.com
Wed Jan 27 14:54:29 UTC 2010

> > Scott Colbeck <scolbeck [at] gmail> says:
> >> On two different frontends, I have also seen this problem when
> >> viewing MKV files.  The keyboard suddenly stops working but the
> >> remote responds fine.
> >
> > So this is a problem specifically with MKV files in MythVideo, and not
> > the focus issue that #7741 solved in trunk?
>
> I can't see that ticket (the page isn't loading for me), so I'm not
> sure what it's about. So with that said:
>
> I have this problem all the time, and I don't think this is specific
> to mkv files. I'm nearly certain that I've had the same thing with
> m2ts files (I can double check later when I'm in front of the system).
> It's related to the video having a bookmark. When you start a video
> and the bookmark screen pops up, no matter whether you choose to play
> from bookmark or from beginning, myth will respond to the remote but
> not the keyboard. However, if you switch to another app and then back
> to myth, it will work with keyboard input from then on (I have a
> keyboard shortcut to launch a bash terminal, and then I just type exit
> to switch back to myth).
>
> As far as the closed captions, I have used an srt file with an mkv
> with no problems. I just wish it would work with embedded srt files
> instead of having to keep it separate (as the separate file shows up
> in the mythvideo tree listing....or is there a way to hide those that
> I didn't notice?)

I can confirm that changing the focus to another app and then back to MythTV allows subsequent keyboard input.  The "T" command then works and properly displays subtitles from my srt files.  It seems to be unrelated to the bookmark popup described in issue #7741.  For me it happens with mkv files (100% of the time), but not with avi files.  Those are the only two file types I have.  Thanks to those who helped further characterize this bug.