[mythtv-users] Mythtv Backend Windows 7 Media Center upnp client

Robert Longbottom RobertCL at iname.com
Wed Jan 27 09:23:13 UTC 2010

On Wed, January 27, 2010 1:41 am, David Blain wrote:
> A few things to note about Windows 7 Media Center upnp support...
>
> 1) Double Entries -
>
> It actually would be more than double if left long enough.

Thats interesting, because I'm sure the first time I looked there was just
one entry for everything, then later I noticed the duplicates!

> WMP does not perform a browse request, it performs a search against
> MythTV's
> CDS.  The search request contains a Filter that should only allow actual
> content, not referenced entries (think symbolic links).  MythTv currently
> doesn't handle filters correctly, so it returns all entries including ones
> that are just aliases in different folders.  Ultimately WMP treats them as
> different recordings so it displays duplicates.

> 2) Sorting -
>
> Due to #1 above, MythTv has no control over how WMP displays and sorts the
> content we return.  It uses the metadata we return to organize it any way
> it
> sees fit.  The only thing we can do is provide better metadata so WMP's
> built in sorting works better.

It seems that the metadata returned my MythTv doesn't populate any of the
dates - there are various dates to choose from in Windows 7 Media Player
and none of them helped my sort my content.  Either that or it doesn't
understand the dates it's given.

> 3) Recordings lumped in with Videos -
>
> Starting with Windows 7, WMP will allow upnp servers to return items that
> would be grouped under the "Recorded TV" selection.  The problem with it
> is
> that it only puts content there that says it's a Windows Media Center
> Recording *.dvr-ms or *.wtv.  I've been able to override the content-type
> in
> the returned recording data and it showed up in the "Recorded TV" section.
> The problem I had was I couldn't determine who was making the request (the
> user Agent header was non-descript), so I couldn't just blindly check in
> the
> change (it would break it for everything other than Win 7).

Ah, I hadn't realised that "Recorded TV" was new in Win 7.

> All the above is solvable, I just won't be able to get to it until after
> some other MythXML changes I'm working on.

Nice to know it's on the list and someone is looking at it (or planning to
look at it).

Thanks,
Robert.