[mythtv-users] Firewire troubles after upgrade. Is test-mepg2 mightier than MythTV?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Jan 27 05:10:09 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:15 PM, Jå§òÑ M@¢þhè®$Øñ
<jason.macpherson at gmail.com> wrote:

>> This one *might* be okay with 4GB with a later kernel, not certain.
>> I'd have to go look at the driver code in that specific kernel... I
>> thought it was a while ago when we quirked that chipset to only use
>> packet-per-buffer, but maybe it wasn't that long ago, and/or it was
>> the AB22/A, but there were unconfirmed suspicions it might affect the
>> AB23 as well. A good test would be 4GB with a kernel built to only
>> enable packet-per-buffer on that chip.
>>

> I'm currently recompiling my Kernel with the the one-line patch you
> mentioned.
> http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/75234/

Ah! That has a very nice summary from Stefan Richter (upstream
firewire driver maintainer) of the details I was only vaguely
recalling. So it *was* the AB22/A that was previously blacklisted, and
its any address over 2GB, and he's confirmed the AB23 has the same
problem. So yeah, this is highly relevant for Deyan's setup.

The patch I had in mind that everyone ought to be trying out his this though:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=090699c0530ae5380a9b8511d76f656cc437bb6e

It universally disables dual-buffer mode by default for all controllers.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com