[mythtv-users] "Free Antenna TV" threat?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Jan 26 21:01:26 UTC 2010

On Fri, January 22, 2010 7:58 am, Tim Ashman wrote:
> This is exactly what I mean by the big business' in the US using congress
> to gain marketshare instead of innovation.

Economists call this "rent seeking."  It's actually a major economic drain
because the money spent on lobbying is unavailable for other purposes.

It happens anywhere government is big enough to have a substantial impact
on businesses, but the way campaigns are financed in the U.S. arguably
tends to make it bigger here than in most places.