[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend idle cpu consumption help

jansenj jansenj+myth at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 18:13:45 UTC 2010

> Would it be possible for you to try out the patch in ticket #7953?  I
> know that QTimer should be responsible for up to 1ms of spin-waiting
> per signal, but you (and everyone else in the 14-15% camp) are
> spending 2ms of CPU time per signal.  I'd like to know if your idle
> frontend CPU usage drops all the way to 1-2%, or only goes down to
> 7-9%.

The patch got mythfrontend down to spending most of the time at 0.7% usage,
sometimes up to 1.3% while sitting idle on the main menu screen.

If I read your patch correctly, you are just sleeping for a time equivalent
to one period.  Its important to note that this makes your "real" animation
pulse closer to 69Hz or so.  I don't know what was magical about 70Hz to
begin with other than to have it be a faster sample rate than most screen
refreshes.

As some have said, the next step would be to connect it up to the screen
refresh, or opengl vsync.  But your patch is a very good start, and would
contend that something similar could be incorporated into the 0.22-fixes
branch.  A guy can wish can't he?