[mythtv-users] Acer Aspire Revo R3610 as a backend

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Jan 26 14:33:14 UTC 2010

Ian Oliver wrote:
> In article
> <c0e9781f1001251109k40465145r2caf1bf5ffaf5c6b at mail.gmail.com>, Greg
> Cope wrote:
>> You could always ebay it if not happy!  I'd probably buy it!
>
> I'll eventually need four front ends, so experimenting with the R3610
> as a backend means I shouldn't see any wastage.
>
> What is wastage is the 160GB disks in the frontends. These may come out
> and hit ebay as I intend to pxe boot everything off the backend. Sadly,
> it's quite a dissection exercise to get to the disk.
>
> I'm currently not sure what the limitations of Live TV are. Will in
> find a tuner on the right mux and grab a virtual tuner? Would I be
> better with tuners on each fe?

A minor wrinkle that may hit you when you pull those disks: your power supply
may not like it.

I have a box with a mini-ITX card in it I'm using for a firewall. There's a new
version of pfSense out which runs off a CF card, so I thought I'd pull the disk
and try it that way. No go. Without the power sink of the disk, the power supply
refuses to run properly.

Experiment by disconnecting a disk and seeing if you can boot. If you can, ok,
if you can't, find something small and quiet to put in there instead that works.

--

Mike Perkins