[mythtv-users] Switched to MythBuntu 9.1, Standard def TV, stretch

Naoyuki Tai ntai at smartfruit.com
Tue Jan 26 08:32:30 UTC 2010

I got warmer but I don't know how close I'm to the solution.

The difference of MythBuntu 8.x and MythBuntu 9.10, other than MythTV
0.22 and 0.23 was that, X driver.
First and foremost, I did not mention that I use "AMD/ATI" onboard
graphics Radeon HD 3200.
I was not paying attention to the fact that I was not using fglrx driver.
I thought that I turned it on during installation, but apparently
something did not work as I expected.

With XFree86's "ati" driver, the video plays, but the screen is slightly
too large, and the SD video stretches.
With my old MythBuntu 8.x's fglrx driver, everything worked -- HD full
screen and SD at 4:3 playback.

So, I switched to using fglrx driver with MythBuntu 9.10.
fglrx driver that comes with MythBuntu 9.10 is version 8.660, and
crashes at start up, trying to load  amdxmm.so.
As far as I understand, amdxmm.so is the xvideo driver, so removing it
is probably not an option.

I downloaded AMD Catalyst 8.681 driver, made Ubuntu/karmic package,
installed it.
Here is the dpkg -l output for fglrx.

ii  fglrx-amdcccle     2:8.681-0ubuntu1   Catalyst Control Center for
the ATI graphics acceler
ii  fglrx-kernel-sourc 2:8.681-0ubuntu1   Kernel module source for the
ATI graphics accelerato
ii  fglrx-modaliases   2:8.681-0ubuntu1   Identifiers supported by the
ATI graphics driver
ii  xorg-driver-fglrx  2:8.681-0ubuntu1   Video driver for the ATI
graphics accelerators

With 8.681 driver, amdxmm loads fine,and X starts.
Now, the display size is correct, but the video playback does not work
at all.
It freezes the screen. I guess it's better than X not starting at all,
but the xvideo not working is disappointing.

At this point, I think I have 3 possibilities.
Install a video card, probably NVidia and give up the ATI onboard.
Use "ati" driver and figure out fixing the "stretch".
Use "fglrx" driver, and figure out making xvideo work.

If anyone has a working Radeon HD 3200 + fglrx 8.681 driver for video
playback, please let me know.
I'm interested in xorg.conf, Xorg.<N>.log and Catalysit driver version.
Thanks.

--
Naoyuki "Tai" Tai, ntai a t smartfruit d o t com