[mythtv-users] Planning a new MythTV setup, one boring question, one really off the wall question

Justin Garrison rothgar at 1n73r.net
Mon Jan 25 18:10:09 UTC 2010

> First, what are some inexpensive front-ends that can play HD (at least
> 720p)? I've already got an AppleTV and I'm not opposed to modifying it, but
> whatever I use it needs to be beefy enough that it won't be laggy. My
> potential setup is going to be two HD-PVRs + a non-DVR DirecTV HD receiver
> for each, along with at least one ATSC (but probably two) tuner(s)
> connected
> to my OTA antenna. I figure with that many tuners, along with connecting it
> to my drobo array for storage, I'll just create a backend server and shove
> it in a closet, meaning frontends for every TV (which to start with would
> just be two TVs). I noticed there is a decoder card that may be supported
> soon for the AppleTV, should I just wait before replacing my AppleTV for
> something better suited?

I have a AOpen MP945-DR <http://1n73r.net/mythtv-log/aopen-mp965-dr> which
has worked well for me. I haven't tried it as just a frontend but it worked
pretty well as a backend/frontend with 1 HDHR and 1 HD-PVR connected. It is
about the size of a Mac Mini but for a couple hundred dollars cheaper. the
new AOpen MP45-BDR is a bit faster and has a blu-ray drive too. If you want
something more simple (and cheaper) you could also look at the AOpen BB10-BN
which doesn't have an optical drive and is Atom based. All of them have
integrated Intel Video which has great linux support but lack VDPAU, but the
more I read on this mailing list that may not be a bad thing. You may also
want to look into the Dell Zino if you are going to go with Atom processors.

--
Justin Garrison
1n73r.net