[mythtv-users] Planning a new MythTV setup, one boring question, one really off the wall question

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Mon Jan 25 17:58:00 UTC 2010

On 25 Jan 2010, at 17:47, Travis Tabbal wrote:

> For the very remote backend, that's an interesting question. I'd use OpenVPN to link them up, but Myth seems to be kind of set up expecting to be able to stream in real time from the secondary BEs. I'm not sure how it will handle having that BE on a WAN link. You might be able to use the rename script and mirror the files over to a local server then use MythVideo to play them.

You can just copy (or better rsync) the files over to the local backend, if the files are local myth will find them and play them from there without any additional magic from you.

I used to have a similar setup at a friend's place before we got a satellite system in my building, I had to use sneakernet though as his Internet upstream wasn't quick enough to be useful. If his Internet service is unreliable you might be better off with a separate system and use mytharchive export and import, if the slave backend can't see the master you can lose recordings until it comes back up again. Also Myth doesn't easily work across NAT, we both had subnets so not a problem.

There are also some contributed scripts in the wiki for this kind of thing, don't have a url to hand but I bumped into them a few weeks ago.

Andre