[mythtv-users] Default Theme [was: Upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10 disasters - please help; (]

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Mon Jan 25 05:01:14 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 01/24/2010 11:16 PM, jedi wrote:
>>        If you go out of your way to change things, expect to get some flak.
>>

> How is calling a theme "hideous" either a) going out of your way, b)
> attempting to change things, or c) in any way constructive?
>
> Constructive criticisms are appreciated.  Slander is not.

Is it possible to enter into a discussion about changing the default
theme in future releases?

I understand the intention in choosing Terra was to show off the new
features in MythUI, but the horizontal layout breaks user
expectations, and in a few places (ie. the menu graphics, as
previously discussed) the theme feels unpolished. Whilst the best
course of action is obviously "fix it", initial impressions of MythTV
0.23+ (for both new and upgrading users) might be improved if the
default theme was changed.

My suggestion would be something based off the MythBuntu 9.10 theme,
which is polished and retains the traditional layout. Personally I use
a slightly modified version of blue-abstract, but I believe that's
still unofficial and is a bit rough around the edges.

- Chris