[mythtv-users] Upgrade to Ubuntu 9.10 disasters - please help; (

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Jan 25 04:16:54 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 10:00:45PM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 01/24/2010 05:50 PM, Ben Edwards wrote:
> > I recently upgraded my Ubuntu box that runs myth from 9.04 to 9.10, A lot of
> > things not don't work. Changing from the default (hideous)
>
> This /really/ motivates me to help you.  You should realize that someone
> who has spent a huge portion of his free time over the last few years
> working on Myth built that theme.  It may not be your preferred theme
> and you may be a little frustrated, but please remember that although
> MythTV didn't cost you a thing (not even a moment of your time making
> it), some people have put their heart and soul (and a /lot/ of time)
> into making it (and, no, time you spend setting it up doesn't count

      ...and in some cases breaking it.

      This isn't something that should just be casually dismissed with all of
the usual "send us patches" nonsense rhetoric.

> because that doesn't help anyone else/is only for your gain and is only
> required because you chose to use Myth rather than buy a TiVo or rent a
> cable-/satellite-company DVR).

       This would be more of that same sort of rhetoric.

       If you go out of your way to change things, expect to get some flak.
The fact that "it's free" doesn't alter the fact that WAF will be greatly
impacted with some users if developers go out of their way to change things
that then seem visibly broken to end users.