[mythtv-users] Is the hpHDTV 5500 right for me?

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Mon Jan 25 02:47:04 UTC 2010

If I weren't interested in capturing analog video, I would go for an external tuner, like the HDHomeRun or perhaps a USB tuner as others have suggested. There's one HDHR with a dual tuner for < $150 at newegg and one with a single tuner for < $100. I've been having trouble getting good digital signal quality from my PCI based 5500 and HVR-1600. But I've been happy with the analog performance of the HVR-1600 and it's HW support for MPEG encoding. The 5500's analog video is OK, too, although it's CPU intensive to record and playback the 5500's analog video.

JMHO,
Helen