[mythtv-users] PCI-E Analog Card

Kevin Ross kevin at familyross.net
Mon Jan 25 02:00:06 UTC 2010

Kevin Ross wrote:
> Brent Norris wrote:
>>>
>>> Looking over the linuxtv.org wiki, your requirements narrows down your
>>> choice to one offering, the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1800, which has analog
>>> and digital tuner capabilities, the analog portion is supported in
>>> Linux, and it has built-in MPEG2 encoding for analog sources, so your
>>> CPU doesn't have to do it. But you'd need 10 of them, since it only has
>>> one analog tuner per card.
>>
>> Most of the stuff that I have read says that the analog isn't
>> supported and one place on the linuxtv.org site it actually says that
>> mythtv doesn't work with it.  Can you give me the link that you have
>> which describes it as working and what they did to get it that way?
>>
>> Brent
>
> Ack, I missed the part about it not working with MythTV.  That's
> sucks, since it was the only one listed at linuxtv.org as being PCI-e
> and with analog support.  Sorry.

How about populating your PCI-e slots with USB controllers, and plug in
USB tuners?  It seems there are several with working analog support.
With a seperate controller for every few tuners, you shouldn't have a
problem with USB throughput.  The Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1950 appears to be
a good choice.  It has analog (with MPEG2 hardware encoder), digital,
and even s-video/composite inputs for hooking up to a cable box, in case
the worse happens and you have to use their boxes.  I'm not sure about
the status of using the built-in IR blaster with Linux.

-- Kevin