[mythtv-users] Help wanted with mixed SD/HD Setup (DVB-S, Astra 19.2°)

Matthias Thyroff nospam2 at thyroff.net
Sun Jan 24 11:40:31 UTC 2010

Hello All,

being right in the process of reconfiguring my 0.22 myth system from
scratch, I am not sure how to handle the channel setup for my mixed
SD/HD setup, I hope you can set me on the right track:

Setup:
Myth Backend (Ubuntu 9.10, mythbuntu repositories for 0.22-fixes weekly
builds)
with 1x Technisat DVB-S SD receiver and 1x Hauppauge DVB-S2 HD receiver,
both pointing to Astra 19.2°E.
Video Source: EPGDATA commercial service (XMLTV).

I have configured EPGDATA as source 1. I have linked both cards to this
source.

If I scan the channels with the DVB-S2 card, it will find a lot of SD
channels and some HD channels.

All the found channels then are available for tuning for both cards, of
course this fails if I try to do that with the SD-only card.

I would not like to set up two video sources (one SD only, one SD and
HD) because downloading two times ... most importantly, does not seem to
be the right way (I could name technical reasons, too.)

I have tried to set up one additional video source for the few HD
channels only and limit the source to EIT data, that would be acceptable
for now (German HD channels aren't reproduced properly anyway in the
actual 0.22-fixes version from the mythbuntu repo), but I can't find a
way to attach two video sources to one card.

Basically, what I would need is the possibility to exclude a number of
channels from being tuned with one of my cards. Is that possible? Maybe
my approach is all wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Matthias