[mythtv-users] Rip DVD from ISO

lists at murrell.ca lists at murrell.ca
Sun Jan 24 10:48:04 UTC 2010

Hello.

i just upgraded to Mythbuntu 9.10 to get some of the new features.  One of things I want to do is rip my DVD collection to 800MB-1GB AVI files so I can watch them from Myth without having to use the DVD (except when I want to watch extras, etc.)  That way I can keep the original discs themselves safe from any harm/damage.

One of the DVDs I am trying to rip has an encryption MythTV cannot read (I Googled the error, and it is also a very new DVD).  Following a set of instructions I found, I ripped the movie to ISO using gddrescue, and the ISO plays fine in VLC.  The size, of course, is 7.5GB, and I do not want to store the entire movie like that (800MB to 1GB).

Is it possible to rip a DVD from an ISO file in MythTV?  In the video settings, I tried setting the DVD device to /media/cdrom0 then mounting the ripped ISO to that directory, but MythTV does not seem to read it.  I also tried setting it to the full path of the ISO file, but that did not work either.  the error that comes up in the mtd.log file is:

  Drive not available: /media/cdrom0

(same for when I point it to the ISO, except of course it gives the full path I entered)

Thanks for any pointers you might have for this. :-)

-Alan