[mythtv-users] Strreaming Mythtv to Android device?

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 10:39:25 UTC 2010

2010/1/23 Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>:
> On 01/23/2010 05:24 AM, Richard Morton wrote:
>>> I wish apple would build in flash support for the iPhone, it would make
>>> things easier for everyone.
>>>
>> I am sure HTML5 support is coming for most mobile browsers. Which
>> would support embedded media playback; and many of the other niceties
>> of Flash.
>>

> Yes, provided your browser implements "unspecified CODEC" support...

True the container and codec are not specified, but there seems to be
just two camps for this (excluding IE) in the desktop browser space;
MP4 / x264 & OGG / Theora.

We would have to transcode on the fly anyway, transcoding to both of
these is fairy straight forward and browsers typically present the
browser type to the webserver fairly honestly....

Finally running video through a platform native playback engine built
into the browser that can make use of hardware
acceleration/optimisations (Flash is runoured to get h/w acceleration
at some point on the desktop, but the mobile space?); not having to
start another VM, it _may_ be more battery friendly. Although this is
all hypothetical of course as there are no such browsers... (that I
know of) yet.