[mythtv-users] Philips DLNA-client TV won't play recordings

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Jan 24 05:31:26 UTC 2010

On Saturday 23 January 2010 07:57:56 pm Ray Parrish wrote:
> Brian,
>
> How are you able to get your XBox 360 to play the mpeg2 PVR-150
> recordings without transcoding? I wish to do the same thing here to
> avoid building another frontend. Do you have a Windows Media Center
> Edition PC (or appropriate flavor of Vista) acting as a bridge between
> your backend and the 360?

Not quite, but close.

I have XP running in a virtual machine, and I have it running the PlayOn
server, and I use the "local files" plugin for PlayOn, and samba mount the Myth
recordings to make them "local".

So I'm using XP (much to my chagrin), and PlayOn, and not a Vista or MCE
machine. At least the XP machine is virtual and not real. Since I have PlayOn
running anyway, to get Netflix, Hulu and some other things, this seemed like a
good answer. I refuse to send MS money for XBox Live to get Netflix. PlayOn is
$30 one time, not a monthly charge.

I can get Netflix on my PS3, but I hate to pull over 200 watts to do so. I read
somewhere that Netflix now supports the Wii, which I think draws less power
than a PS3, but I can't see buying another game console just to do that, I'd
never use a Wii for anything else, and I want the other things that PlayOn
provides.

Looking at PlayOn, porting it to Linux is probably not practical, it relies
too much on Windows-centric things, and it won't run under Wine, so a virtual
XP machine seemed the best solution.

The XP VM is running on a server via VirtualBox, separate from any Myth
machine, so my answer won't save you any hardware, unless you have a backend
that could run VirtualBox at the same time.