[mythtv-users] VMWare on the backend. Viable solution?

Kenni Lund kenni at kelu.dk
Sat Jan 23 16:48:42 UTC 2010

2010/1/23 Jon Whitear <jon at whitear.org>:
> Well, changing slot and disabling my USB controller gave me an unshared interrupt, and I have successfully been able to export the DVB card to a KVM guest, so it seems that VT-d works on my GA-P55-UD4P. The guest recognises the card and loads the appropriate modules. However, I have been unable to scan channels on the guest using either mythtv-setup or scan (i.e. dvbscan.) Steps and results below.
<SNIP>
> jon at server ~ $ cat /proc/interrupts
>
> 07:01.0 Multimedia video controller: Conexant CX23880/1/2/3 PCI Video and Audio Decoder (rev 05)
>        Subsystem: DViCO Corporation FusionHDTV DVB-T Plus
>        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 19
>        Memory at f7000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
>        Capabilities: <access denied>
>        Kernel driver in use: cx8800
>        Kernel modules: cx8800

cx88...isn't that the same module used on Hauppauge HVR-1300, HVR-4000
etc, which is broken on newer kernels? Are you running another (newer)
Linux distribution/kernel version in your guest, compared to your
host? (I assume that it worked fine on your host?)

I know that Mythbuntu 9.04 should work out-of-the-box with these
Hauppauge cx88-based cards, while Mythbuntu 9.10 and other
distributions with latest kernel upgrades fails.

If this isn't a driver problem, I suggest you to take this question
and the dmesg output to the kvm-devel mailing list. They're usually
very helpful and some Intel developers also follows that list and
often replies to VT-d and passthrough-related questions.

Best Regards
Kenni Lund