[mythtv-users] missed an episode trying to watch on Firefox

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Jan 23 04:42:01 UTC 2010

On 01/22/2010 11:36 PM, Greg Oliver wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 10:17 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> Yeah, Fox is Windows only--as is CW, and (IIRC) ABC.  NBC is Hulu (and
>> regretting every minute of starting that bonfire).  CBS works nicely
>> from Linux (with significantly better performance than Hulu).
>>
>> After all, if you owned rights to American Idol, would you really want a
>> bunch of GNU/Linux users to be able to see it?  Of course not...  If you
>> pay the (MS) fee, you can watch it for free.
> Yes, there was a discussion on another list regarding this...  Having
> to change my UA string to watch video clips is pretty stupid on their
> part..
>
> My guess is that they just have a happy-go-lucky flash-happy idiot
> doing their web site  :)

Some seem to use Activex controls or something--not just User-Agent
strings.  I've only been able to make CW and Fox work by booting a
Windows box.

Oh, and I didn't say it, but meant to say, "NBC may be changing their
stuff due to displeasure with the Hulu situation, so they may be going
the way of Fox and CW."

Mike